Sunday, 27 September 2026

Polaroid Magic.

There is something rather exciting about instant film.

You take a photograph and, within moments, you have a unique print in your hand.

No messy developers and tanks. No scanning negatives. No messing around in various software tools trying to turn a negative RAW scan into a positive image.

It was Edwin Land, the designer of instant film, who made the promise:

You press the button and out comes a picture.

I first experienced instant film when my maternal grandmother bought a Land Swinger camera that used peel-apart film. From the get-go, I was mesmerised by the camera, but even more so by the instant print it produced.

More than 50 years later, I now own a Polaroid I-2, a £500 flagship of the Polaroid range.

And the excitement of instant photography hasn't lost any of its edge.

I took this image on Friday afternoon, and I love the unpredictable nature of i-Type film. Every print is slightly different. You don't quite know what you're going to get until the picture develops in front of you.

That's part of the Polaroid magic.

You press the button, and out comes a picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment