Sunday, 2 August 2026

Shoot the lens you have baby!

The best way to create photography work is to just get out and shoot. This blog post was inspired by a discovery of a photographic thing that was languishing in a box, forgotten and pretty much unloved.  The "thing" that I am referring to is my original, plastic Lensbaby Spark Version 2.0. I did some photography with this in the past and to be honest, I'd forgotten what a useful tool this can be.

My Lensbaby Spark is mated to a Canon EOS 7D DSLR camera and while the camera body is a lump to carry around, at just under a kilo including battery and compact flash card, at least the Lensbaby Spark doesn't add any appreciable weight.

Focus is achieved by squeezing the front of the lens back towards the camera.  You can get all sorts of interesting effects by tilting the front lens.

Some people may regard these lenses as a gimmick, but a quick look at the Lensbaby website shows that these have had uses in many areas of professional photography including in movie production.

Some of these photos were taken this week and some a while back. All were taken with a Lensbaby Spark.


Taken this week


Taken in 2018



Taken in 2018


Taken at the Garden Party I hosted in 2018.


No comments:

Post a Comment