Summer is a funny time for photography, largely because of the increased activity that comes with family during the school holidays, particularly when you have school-age children or, as in my case, grandchildren. It means you have to get out when you can and make the most of whatever time you have with a camera.
This photograph is remarkably, well, unremarkable. But it was taken after a busy day, both at work and with the grandchildren. I dragged the motorbike out from its slumber and headed out with a Holga 120 GN loaded with a roll of Kentmere Pan 100 film. The Holga is permanently fitted with a yellow filter, and I simply meandered through the country lanes near my home in Somerset.
I ended up at St Mary the Virgin Church in the little village of Shapwick. By this time it was eight o'clock in the evening, but being high summer, lack of light wasn't a problem. I set the Holga to the portrait zone, which is approximately one metre, and took this photograph.
The photograph itself isn't really remarkable, but that doesn't particularly matter. Every time I look at it, I remember the motorbike ride, pottering around the quiet country lanes and a pleasant summer evening spent wandering around that churchyard with the Holga.
Perhaps that's enough reason for a photograph to exist.
No comments:
Post a Comment